Rev. Fr. Priscus Massawe C.P.
PASSOD stands for Passionist Solidarity and Social Development. This is a religious organisation operated by the Passionist Congregation. The office was found for the purpose of supporting human social development in various parts of Tanzania especially to people who live on the bottom line of poverty. The Passionist Congregation considered that, apart from evangelizing the people there is a complementary need for social development. Solidarity with the needy is signified not only by evangelization but also human and social development. SPECIFIC OJECTIVES OF PASSOD The main objective of PASSOD is to reduce poverty and dependence among marginalized communities through:
- Providing formal and informal education
- Coordinating relief works that respond to natural disasters
- Initiation of small scale income generating activities
- Establishing, strengthening and maintaining with other development agencies within and outside the country.
- Environmental conservation through reforestation.
- Health care through provision of education and medication
- Water and sanitation services.
- Promotion of opportunity for women and girls.
- Assisting people affected with HIV and AIDS
- Providing agricultural and animal husbandry skills.
- Promoting entrepreneurship, credit and savings systems.